PVA Seal

Darlene M. Plummer

Kenton County
Property Valuation Administrator

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I…

  1. Find out who owns a certain property?

    The PVA offers a free Basic Property Search that will help you find information on property ownership and assessed property value. You can search by Name, Location, PIDN, Deed or Subdivision. If you are looking for more detailed information, a very affordable Subscription Search Service is available that provides more detailed information such as transfer history, improvement characteristics, property class, and tax information.

  2. Pay my taxes?

    The PVA Office does not set tax rates, tax districts or collect tax bills. The Kenton County Sheriff's Office is responsible for collecting property taxes. Please contact their office with any issues concerning your property tax bill.

  3. Learn how much a certain property sold for?

    The Subscription Search Service allows you to view the transfer history for any property in Kenton County when available. With the Subscription Search Service, you can search by address, sale price and date range, parcel ID, owner, or by legal description.

  4. How can I find more detailed info about a certain property?

    You can find information such as year built, square footage, number of bathrooms, and more listed in the Property Details section of any property report when logged into your Subscription Search Service. If you're not signed up yet, find out more in the Subscription Search Service area. Please note that certain characteristics may not be available within our records.

  5. Know if I'm eligible to apply for an assessment exemption?

    You can find out if you're eligible for an exemption in the Property assessment section of this website. There you will find information on Homestead/Disability Exemptions, Exemptions for Religious Groups and Exemptions for Non-Profit Groups.

  6. Change my mailing address?

    You can download the “Change of Address form” from the Forms section.

  7. Obtain a map of my property?

    The PVA is happy to print out a map of your property for you at no charge. Maps of any other property can be obtained in our office for a nominal fee.
    You can also print your own maps from the internet at www.kentonpva.com.
    Contact the PVA at (859) 392-1750 or email info.kentonpva@kentoncounty.org for more details. (PVA maps are not legal documents and should be used for general reference only.)

  8. Dispute my Property Assessment?

    Each year, you can appeal your current property assessment. To learn more about how to appeal your assessment, click on the Appeal Process.

  9. Correct information about my property?

    If the PVA has information about your property that is incomplete or inaccurate, you can Email us at info.kentonpva@kentoncounty.org or call our office at (859) 392-1750 to ensure it is corrected.

  10. Add, change or remove the name on my property or tax bill?

    Name changes may only be made with proper legal documentation.  If you wish to add, change or remove a name on your property record, an official document such as a Deed or Will must be recorded with the County Clerk.  In some cases, Name changes may be made by submitting an official Death Certificate and/or Legal Will to the PVA Office. Email us at info.kentonpva@kentoncounty.org or call (859) 392-1750 if you have any questions.

  11. I purchased a property which has an Agricultural/Horticultural Exemption. Do I have to re-apply or do I get the exemption automatically?

    You must submit an application. Pursuant to KRS 132.450(3), classification as agricultural land shall expire upon change of use by the owner or owners or upon conveyance of the property to a person other than a surviving spouse.Email us at info.kentonpva@kentoncounty.org or call (859) 392-1750 if you have any questions.

Property Tax Assessment Questions

  1. How do they come up with an assessment?

    Kenton County Property Valuation Administrator's responsibilities are to discover, list and value all properties within the county. Property not exempted from taxation is to be assessed for taxation at its fair cash value, estimated at the price it would bring at a fair voluntary sale. The PVA is charged with assessing all property equitably and accurately. Learn more about the Property Assessment process.

  2. Why did my assessment go up this year?

    Property owners do not need to make improvements to their property for their assessment to change. Since the assessed value is to reflect Fair Cash Value, as real estate values rise or fall, the assessed value will follow. All properties do not change by the same percentage. Factors in the market place like supply, demand, interest rates, and amenities determine the value of your property.

    Other reasons for a change in assessed value include additions to your property or permanent damage to your property. Property owners have a responsibility to report any changes made to their property that could affect value, to the PVA.

    Remember, the PVA DOES NOT CREATE VALUE. It is just the PVA’s legal responsibility to discover and estimate the worth of all property. Transactions that occur in the market place determine value.

  3. Why does the person down the street with all the land have a lower value than mine?

    The person down the street from you with acreage may have a lower value because they qualify for an Agricultural and Horticultural Exemption.

    Property (usually defined as greater than 10 acres actively used for an agricultural or horticultural purpose) has a specific agricultural value and is not taxed the same as a residence. It is designed to provide for a preferential assessment on farm land.

  4. If I buy property after January 1st , when will I get a tax bill?

    If you purchased property after January 1, you may not receive a tax bill in your name until the following year depending on when you purchased the property. Your name may appear as a c/o or not at all.

    However, depending on your closing statement, you may be required to pay the tax bill in the “previous owner's name”. This should be determined at the time of closing and the adjustment should be reflected in your closing costs. Tax pro-rations are typically based upon the most recent tax bill available.

  5. Why can't I appeal my property when I get my tax bill?

    Persuant to KRS 133.045, the real property Tax roll is open for inspection for thirteen (13) days beginning on the first Monday in May each year. Once the open inspection period ends and the PVA's assessments are certified by the Department of Revenue, no adjustments can be made to the real property tax roll for that year. Learn more about the Appeal Process.

  6. What is the tax rate of an address?

    The tax rate varies according to the location of the property. The total tax rate consists of a state tax, a county tax, a city tax (if applicable), a library tax, a health tax, an extension office rate, health rate, a fire district rate and a school district rate.

  7. I bought my house in July for less than what the tax bill says. Why do I have to pay the higher amount?

    Real Estate values are determined as of the assessment date, January 1 of each year. If you purchased your home after January 1 for a lesser value than that on the tax bill, please contact our office at (859) 391-1750. We may be able to adjust your value for the following year.

    See: If I buy property after January 1st, when will I get a tax bill?

  8. My neighbor next door gets a reduction in his taxable value. Why don't I?

    The exemption your neighbor may be getting is a statutory exemption based on age, disability or agriculture.

  9. What is the amount for the Homestead/ Disability Exemption...?

    The Homestead/Disability Exemption for assessment years 2019 and 2020 is $39,300, which reduces your assessment each year for both county and city taxes. The exemption is determined by the State every two years.

  10. Can I get the Homestead/Disability Exemption for Commercial Property?

    You may get a Homestead/Disability Exemption for Commercial Property only if you own AND occupy the building (e.g. you live on the second floor of the commercial building). Learn more about the Homestead/Disability Exemption.

Motor Vehicle Property Tax Questions

  1. How do you determine the assessment on vehicles?

    All automobiles, trucks, boats, boat trailers, motorcycles, aircraft, and recreational vehicles must be assessed as of January 1 of each year. Motor vehicles are generally taxed in the county of registration. If you have assessment questions regarding motor vehicles or boats, please contact our office at (859) 392-1750.

  2. I do not agree with the value of my vehicle. How can I get it lowered?

    The PVA may be able to lower the value of your vehicle if you have excessive mileage or damage. If you have assessment questions regarding your motor vehicle assessment, please contact our office at (859) 392-1750.

  3. I have either sold a vehicle or moved out of state. What should I do now?

    To remove your vehicle from the tax roll, proper documentation is required.
     Please see Motor Vehicle Affidavit.

  4. Why do I have to pay a whole year of tax when I didn't own the car for the entire year?

    Per statute all vehicle taxes are assessed as of January 1. If you own the vehicle on January 1st of that year you are responsible for the taxes.

  5. My car went out of state. Why didn't that state didn't notify you?

    Unfortunately, you will have to contact both state offices to ensure that the vehicle has been properly removed from one state and registered in another state.

    Please note: other states do not notify Kentucky when a vehicle is transferred out-of-state.

  6. I junked my car and gave my title to the junkyard. Why am I still getting a tax bill?

    If you junked a vehicle, you may still receive a motor vehicle tax bill because the junkyard does not typically let our office know when they receive a “junked” vehicle.

    Please see Motor Vehicle Affidavit.

Tangible Property Tax Questions

  1. I received a tangible tax bill. What is it for? How did you come up with that figure?

    Your tangible tax bill is based on your KY Tangible Return, Form 62A500, which you file in our office by May 15th of each year.

    The calculated tax is based on the reported value you listed on the return.
    Tangible property is Self-Declared.

What's happening in the PVA office?

2020 digital aerial photographs
are coming!

FutureHome  FutureHome

Aerial “oblique” of the new site of the PVA Office (left).
Aerial “ortho” photograph (right)location of the new site of the Kenton County Building.
2018 Aerial imagery provided by Pictometry.

We're here to serve you!

Covington Office
1840 Simon Kenton Way, Suite 3300
Covington, Kentucky 41011-2999
(859) 392-1750
(859) 392-1770  (Fax)

Driving directions

Monday through Friday:
8:15 A.M. - 4:15 P.M.

Independence Office
5272 Madison Pk.
Independence, KY 41051-7944
(859) 392-1678
(859) 392-1681 (Fax)
Driving directions

Monday through Friday:
8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.

Mailing Address/Email Address
1840 Simon Kenton Way, Suite 3300
Covington, Kentucky 41011-2999


facebook Like us on Facebook

twitter follow us on twitter

join  Sign up for email announcements